It’s been a while since I posted something new and even longer since my last Stuff I Like Saturdays post. With my book manuscript deadline a mere 10 days away, I haven’t had much time to write anything new for the blog. So many ideas, so little time.
But, since my last post, I do have a completely re-designed website! My friend Sam did a fantastic job and created the new site from scratch. It’s clean, simple, and stinking awesome. He designed a new logo and header, and I’m thrilled with how it came out. I hope the redesigned site provides a clean reading experience on your laptop, tablet, or phone. I still have a few kinks to work through, but I’m excited it’s live.
Here’s some stuff I recently read that I think you’ll enjoy. My hope with Stuff I Like Saturdays posts are to share with you some of the best of what I’ve recently read on the web. Today’s stuff features articles about marriage, encouraging others, and productivity. Also, I’ll share a few books I’m reading right now.
1. Scott Sauls is a pastor in Nashville, TN. He consistently writes excellent posts that encourage and challenge me. In this post called On Falling in Love Biblically, he says the two main aspects we should look for in our deepest, most enduring relationships are a humble, honest heart and a well-worn Bible. Preach.
2. “Many children today are being over-served in the attention department. When children take the place of Jesus as the center of the home, they’re set up for failure outside the home.” Great parenting post by Bryan Loritts—Thanks Dad, For Not (Always) Showing Up. Loritts shares how much he appreciated that his dad didn’t make him the center of his world when he was growing up. Parents – you need to read this post.
3. I love this article by my friend Blake Mankin. There’s not much like getting a hand-written note in the mail. Enjoy Blake’s Today’s To-Do Challenge and send a hand-written letter to one of your heroes.
4. And one more in the productivity department. #1 on this list is my biggest challenge, and I’m trying to take some ground, so I’m not a slave to the beast we call e-mail. Check out 8 Email Mistakes You Make by Tim Challies.
- From Weakness to Strength: 8 Vulnerabilities That Can Bring Out the Best in Your Leadership, by Scott Sauls. As I mentioned above, I love this guy’s writing. Vulnerable, honest, and challenging. As he watched several of his pastor friends leave full-time ministry, Sauls paid attention to some of the consistent areas of weakness he saw in them. In this book, he points out how you can turn those areas of weakness into strength in the Lord.
- Single, Dating, Engaged, and Married: Navigating Life and Love in the Modern Age, by Ben Stuart. In this book on relationships, Stuart shares the purposes of all four of these relational stages. He’s an amazing communicator, and I’m enjoying this one so far.
- Come and See: Everything You Ever Wanted in the One Place You Would Never Look, by Todd Wagner. So I’m a little bit biased on this one, but my friend, employer, and lead pastor at Watermark Community Church just released his first book. I love it. I know all the stories, but I’m still so excited about this book. A full review is coming soon. And if you like audiobooks, you’ll want to check this one out. Todd reads and does a great job narrating the book. And it’s super cheap on Audible – $8.81.
- I’m re-reading Do More Better: A Practical Guide to Productivity, by Tim Challies with a few friends. I love this book. You can read my full review on a past post.
- Have you read any articles or books recently you’ve enjoyed? If so, please share in the comments below. I love hearing from others what they’re reading, so please share away.
- Would you mind praying me for as I finish up this manuscript? It’s due on November 1, and I have a lot to do to finish it up on time.
Date Night Guides
Sign up today to get your the latest Date Night Guides (124 Killer Date Night Ideas) and to be notified of new updates! When you sign up, you'll get access to both the Dallas-Fort Worth and National Date Night Guides!