Arise and awake, my inner book and reading friends! For all of you who love books (maybe a little too much) and whose Amazon book wishlist is too long or stack of books to be read is too high, this one’s for you.
I came across Anne Bogel (Modern Mrs. Marcy) a few years ago because of her reputation as a lover of books. Her website and podcast (What Should I Read Next?) help others get more out of their (reading) life. While most of her content is geared towards women, I still enjoy much of what she writes.
Her new book, I’d Rather Be Reading: The Delights and Dilemmas of the Reading Life was a great, fun read for me. The book contains 21 short essays about the reading life. She dedicates the book to “everyone who’s ever finished a book under the covers with a flashlight when they were supposed to be sleeping.” I’ve never done that, per se, but have certainly read many a book late into the night with my nightstand light on or from the glow of my iPad or Kindle.
I don’t know Anne on a personal level, but it’s like she was talking right to me when she shared some of her “bookish” confessions. She helps the reader know they’re not alone and that we all have book and reading confessions. Here are a few of mine:
- Dreaming about characters in book you’ve read or picturing what they might look like in real life. You might even think you saw them in Target.
- I pack more books than boxers for any vacation I go on.
- Reading in the bathroom because it’s the only place you can get some peace and quiet.
- Stacks of books everywhere from either Amazon or the library and more books in your Kindle library than you can read in a lifetime.
- Crying (maybe even weeping) on an airplane when I finished The Nightingale and on the treadmill at the gym when I finished Beneath a Scarlet Sky. Bottom line: I shouldn’t plan on finishing great books in public. Finish them in the bathroom (see the bullet point above).
- I keep books on so many shelves and locations (at work and home) that I usually can’t find a book I’m looking for.
- I pray my children will develop a deep love for reading (God’s Word, first and foremost, and then other books).
I’m not afraid to admit it: I love reading. If I could, I’d read all day, every day. Slight exaggeration, but I wish I could read more than I do. I love not just reading, but talking with others about what they’ve read and what I’ve read. One of my favorite questions to ask others is, “What are you reading now or what audiobook are you listening to?”
I fully stand by this quote from Anne: “I wouldn’t be the person I am today if I weren’t a reader.” I think about how Desiring God and Disappointment With God helped bring me through a tough season 14 years ago. Or I think about how Visioneering by Andy Stanley and If You Want to Walk on Water, You’ve Got to Get Out of the Boat by John Ortberg helped spur me forward into ministry. I think about how The Meaning of Marriage, Sacred Marriage, and Cherish helped me love Jesus and love Kristen more! It’s the response I hope my book, Ready or Knot?, will bring for premarried couples. Great books are the reason why I write!
If you enjoy reading and love books, I’m confident you’ll love I’d Rather Be Reading, by Anne Bogel. It’s a fun, quick read and further grew my passion for books and reading. A friend laughed at the idea of a book about reading. He said it’s like creating a coffee table book about coffee tables (shout-out to Cosmo Kramer). I didn’t want the book to end!
I have a copy to give away. Tell me below or on my Facebook or Instagram posts connected to this review one of the following:
- What’s your favorite book of all time and why?
- What are you currently reading (but only if you like it)?
I received this book for free by Baker Books as part of Anne’s book launch team. The opinions and review are my own, and are not swayed by the fact that I did receive this book for free.
2017 Date Night Guides
Sign up today to get your 2017 Date Night Guides (124 Killer Date Night Ideas) and to be notified of new updates! When you sign up, you'll get access to both the Dallas-Fort Worth and National Date Night Guides!